Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Phantom Harbor and the SDCC

Hey Kids!

So, needless to say, I've been invited to join many of my friends to attend the San Diego Comic Con. The last time I attended the convention was 2004 (?) when Sandy Collora premiered his BATMAN: DEAD END movie. I had gone in previous years and, yes, had a fairly good time but like Mardi Gras in New Orleans - it has just gotten too big and dangerously out of control for my taste.

When G4 does "live broadcasts" from the convention floor, I know that it is time to stay home. Of course, if there was going to be a PHANTOM HARBOR booth and I was safely in my little cubicle, that might be different, but to be among the costumed rabble being pushed past an Ironman display - well, let's just say I'm sure I would feel my age then.

The San Diego Comic Con is a necessary gathering. It is the closest thing that genre entertainment has to American Idol. It is a direct connection between would-be creators and their public. Would it do me and Phantom Harbor any good to go down there and peddle the show? Of course it would. I, personally, am not equipped to do it. I can barely do Monsterpalooza, which I guarantee is 1/1000th of the turn out and only three days.

It is bittersweet for me. I feel like Chuck Yaeger standing on the tarmac watching my fellow pilots fly off to become astronauts all the time thinking "spam in a can."

But - no regrets! I have things to do: characters to sculpt/complete, storyboards, miniatures to design and build...all in my new art room! Yay!

So for all of you at the Comic Con, I wish you the best! Hope you sell past your quotas, meet your idols, sell your screenplay/comic/novel/art and when it is over I hope you find your way safely home with a little money still left in your wallets/purses.

May the Force Be with You/Live Long and Prosper/Avengers Assemble!/Up, Up and Away!

Until next time, I'll see you at the Harbor.

Shannon Shea

No comments: