Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Conversation With Phantom Harbor Composer, Andy Schoneberg



Hey Kids!

So as some of you may have noticed, Phantom Harbor received a new musical theme. This was thanks to Andy Schoneberg, who is not just a very talented sculptor and make up artist, but turns out to be a talented composer as well.

Andy has worked in Special Effects Make Up for over 20 years and has contributed his incredible talents to films like EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, TERMINATOR 2, INGLORIOUS BASTERDS just to name a few.

I spoke with him recently to ask about his involvement with Phantom Harbor*

Shannon Shea: How did your first get involved with Phantom Harbor?

Andy Schoneberg: I've been wanting to be involved with Phantom Harbor for a long time; it's a cool project. So when I overheard Garrett (Immell) and Kevin (Wasner) talking about your difficulties with YouTube*, I thought to myself, I wonder if I could come up with something.

SS: How did you put it together:

AS: I do a lot of work with GARAGE BAND (music composing program) and I listened to the opening music from your pilot episode to get a feel for what you were looking for.

SS: Did you have any idea that it was the theme from the film THE HAUNTED PALACE?

AS: No, I just listened to it for the different musical cues it contained and then started figuring it out. I began with the violin staccato beat and then composed the violin melody that is picked up by the bass. Once that foundation was done, I added the other instruments then finally the timpani which is kind of like the spice of the piece.

SS: So is the theme composed of "loops" or was it written using individual notes?

AS: I have a little keyboard (USB) that hooks directly into the computer and "jam packs" which are "instruments" that I compose with. I play the guitar, but when I work with GARAGE BAND, I'm more interested in Orchestral Compositions and this was a great opportunity.

SS: You know I love it. Did you have any idea that I would time the gong crash with the blowing out of the match?

AS: No, but it matched perfectly!

Music is such an integral part of any show and to have Andy on board now is an honor and a RELIEF! He hopes to widen his influence by composing more incidental music for the show as well as a theme for our resident Goblin! So what's he sitting around talking to me for?! He's got music to compose!

Until next time, see you at the Harbor!

Shannon Shea

*BTW - YouTube doesn't take kindly to any filmmaker (profit or nonprofit) using unlicensed music to accompany their films. I made the mistake of attempting to promote the pilot episode on YouTube and nearly had my channel shut down so BEWARE!

No comments: