Thursday, September 27, 2012

When in doubt, make a cave miniature

Hey Kids -

So today was SUPPOSED to be the big puppet shooting day, but unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, it had to be cancelled. 

Did that stop me?  For a second, yes.  I had everything ready for a day of shooting and suddenly, I had to shift gears and figure out what else I hadn't done yet.  Then in occurred to me: I had yet to build my Geckoniki cave miniature.  I could have a dozen puppet shots, but if I didn't have the miniature cave to matte them into, then I had exactly nothing. 

Now, to do this RIGHT, I would have spent a few days carving foam, making a great wooden structure, etc., but let's face it...I don't have the TIME!  So, I went to Michaels, picked up some foam core, and stopped by the grocery store and picked up a few rolls of heavy duty aluminum foil and went to work!
I started by hot gluing the foam core in a semi-circle onto a piece of black illustration board I had lying around...
Then I spray-glued crumpled aluminum foil to the foam core...
When I got to almost to the top of the foam core, I glued a big piece of cardboard on top...
Once the entire inner surface was covered in foil, I sealed a lot of the trouble seams with spray insulation foam...
Once the foam dried, I based the entire cave with flat black spray paint...
I dusted the inside with that Krylon "Stone Texture" beige spray paint and LOOKA THAT!  Instant CAVE!
So, once it is COMPLETELY dry, I'll light it to match the set; see the little hole at the top where the light is coming in?  Once I smoke up the set with my Halloween smoker, I'm hoping to get a groovy light beam!

Workin' away!  Until next time, I'll see you at the Harbor!

Shannon Shea

3 comments:

Mr. Chicken said...

Wow! Another awesome bit of magic. I love how effective that is with such little effort and expense. I was looking at the cave walls in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride the other day, and I believe they used a similar technique.

Phantom Harbor said...

I wish that I could say that I had it all planned, but the truth of it is that I was stressing about it for a couple of days. Then, it hit me and I was able to crank it out in about three hours and shoot it that night! I love doing this stuff!

Phantom Harbor said...

Oh, and thanks btw!